A glimpse into the history of Risebru
The farm Risebru is known in written sources from 1594.
To pass the river it was only a ford made of bundles of twig (“ris” in norwegian) from young shoots of birch, hence the name. Later a wooden bridge was built, and then in 1827 a stone bridge was bulit as of today has been restored and protected.
Risebru was a traffic hub.
The ancient road, the
“Trondhjemske” main road
(The King road) and the
pilgrimageroute has passed
Risebru on their way to Trondheim.
There have been pub´s, guest house,
coaching inn,mill, distillery, smithy,
dairy and general store in Risebru.
From 1826 to 1839 Risebru West was
a Bailiff farm on the upper Romerike.
Chamber advice and bailiff Christopher
Malthe lived here with his wife of french nobility. She ran the garden plant and a weaving mill on the farm. There exist several traces of her garden today.
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian poet, got
rejected at three courtship to marriage to
the beautiful daughter Hulda. He wrote about
his unhappy love for her in several of his
poems where she is referred to as Stella.
The farm was a children`s
home from 1858 to 1877.
The Toftes Fund was an
upbringing institution for
neglected children. A
census in 1865 showed
that 59 children from the
age of 11 to 20 years old
and 5 teachers lived and worked here.